It sounds like you’re interested in a unique twist on the classic sloppy joes by adding garlic toast to the mix. Here’s a simple recipe for “Garlic Toast Sloppy Joes”:
For the Garlic Toast:
- Slices of bread (white, whole wheat, or your choice)
- Butter or olive oil
- Garlic powder or minced garlic
- Salt and pepper
For the Sloppy Joes Filling:
- 1 pound ground beef or ground turkey
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 small bell pepper, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon mustard
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Optional: shredded cheese for topping
- Start by making the garlic toast. Preheat your oven to the broil setting.
- Mix softened butter or olive oil with garlic powder or minced garlic, salt, and pepper.
- Lightly brush one side of each slice of bread with the garlic butter/oil mixture.
- Place the slices on a baking sheet with the buttered/oiled side facing up.
- Place the baking sheet under the broiler until the bread is toasted and golden brown. Keep an eye on it to prevent burning.
- In a large skillet, cook the ground beef or turkey over medium heat until browned. Break it into crumbles as it cooks. Drain excess fat if needed.
- Add the chopped onion, bell pepper, and minced garlic to the skillet. Cook until the vegetables are softened.
- Stir in ketchup, tomato paste, brown sugar, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, salt, and pepper. Mix well to combine all the flavors.
- Allow the mixture to simmer for about 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the flavors meld together and the sauce thickens.
- To assemble, place a scoop of the sloppy joe filling onto a slice of the garlic toast. You can optionally sprinkle shredded cheese on top.
- Place the assembled garlic toast sloppy joes back under the broiler for a minute or two, just until the cheese melts.
- Remove from the broiler and serve your garlic toast sloppy joes warm.
Feel free to customize this recipe according to your preferences. You can add other seasonings, vegetables, or even a touch of hot sauce for some extra kick. Enjoy your unique twist on classic sloppy joes!